Friday, March 6, 2009

Trash to Treasures

With the yard sale season on the horizon (whew hew-thanks for the reminder Jen), there are tons of make-over projects out there just waiting to be invisioned ( I mean spray painted....).

A few years ago, I began to "shop" my family. Yes, I invisioned my family's trash (uh hum, I mean my family's heritage items) as the treasures I needed to complete my home. My mom had several old pieces with great bones, my mother-in-law had an incredible piece, and my grandmother had some treasures as well. I'm going to show some of my favorites over the next month or so....these are the "after" pictures.







My absolute favorite is this sewing table that my grandmother used to love. Not only did she sew family projects, but she used her talent to serve the Lord (only the Lord knows all the "jewel bags" she sewed). The original was golden brown and the handles were the swirly type (not the pretty vintage ones, just the cheap ones). I painted the surface, added some vintage staining detail and sealed it (my youngest actually painted the legs by herself...my 3 year old that is). We love to talk about Grandma as we use it, which is often. Not only does the finished product match my decor (which means we can leave it out and enjoy it), but Grandma would have loved that we use it so much.