Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow Day


In addition to two amazing snowmen (Thanks Ter-Ter) and the fastest sled in town (Thanks Ryan), our family participated in the World Championship Pecan Cracking Contest. I was showing off some of my home making from this week.....shelling fresh pecans. I was excited to hear that my very own Grandfather had been a Pecan Cracking Expert. In fact, he and my Dad had Pecan Cracking Wars where a "Champion Pecan" would be forced upon another pecan until one of them cracked under the pressure. The remaining pecan would be the Champion and would remain thus until beaten by another pecan, who would then take the title of Champion (Yes, my Grandfather and Father crack pecans with their bare hands...). As of today, my Dad was the..."Pecan Cracking Champion of the World". What fun!
Our family has always taken pleasure in the simple things. We enjoy nature and worshipping God through all of his many gifts to us. It was so nice to laugh and talk (and shell pecans) with my family today. I am so thankful for the snow, for its beauty and for the simple gifts God has given us that make life rich and enjoyable.